This week The Imaginative Conservative provided a thoughtful look at the world of economics and government, world and American history, politics, classic literature, culture, Christianity, and the moral imagination. Included were outstanding essays that about citizenship, The Great Ideas, the art of being a gentleman, Jesus, Willa Cather, and Shakespeare. Pour a cup of coffee, light a pipe or warm a scone, and immerse yourself in the wit and wisdom of these essays.
- Man in the Arena: Citizenship in a Republic, by Theodore Roosevelt
- August 24, 1814 – The Night They Drove Ol’ DC Down, by Stephen Masty
- A Case for the Quaint: The Great Ideas Program, by Robert Woods
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemanliness, by Stephen Klugewicz
- Literature and the Foundations of the West, by Jeffrey Hart
- Vindicating Jesus – in Court?!, by Bruce Frohnen
- Juliet and Other Shakespearean Nominalists, by R.V. Young
- The Christian Humanism of Willa Cather, by Bradley Birzer
- On the Place of Augustine in Political Philosophy: A Second Look at Some Augustinian Literature, by James Schall
- Cosmopolitanism: Citizens Without States?, by Lee Trepanier
- America and What Went Wrong: William Dean Howells, by Mark Malvasi
- C.S. Lewis as Student, Apologist, and Story-Teller: Convocation Address at Augustine School, by Bradley Green
- Scientific Paradigms and Public Education, by Steven Rummelsburg
- A Warning from General Charles Lee, Revolutionary War Hero, by Mike Church
Books on the people and topics discussed in the August 24-30 essays may be found in The Imaginative Conservative Bookstore.
We hope you will join us in The Imaginative Conservative community. The Imaginative Conservative is an on-line journal for those who seek the True, the Good and the Beautiful. We address culture, liberal learning, politics, political economy, literature, the arts and the American Republic in the tradition of Russell Kirk, T.S. Eliot, Edmund Burke, Irving Babbitt, Paul Elmer More, Wilhelm Roepke, Robert Nisbet, M.E. Bradford, Eric Voegelin, Christopher Dawson and other leaders of Imaginative Conservatism. Click here to find out more about the intellectual roots of imaginative conservatives.
Scientific Paradigms and Public Education, by Steven Rummelsburg
A Warning from General Charles Lee, Revolutionary War Hero, by Mike Church